About our Scholarships & Grants
CFO is devoted to the study, conservation and enjoyment of Colorado's birds. Each year CFO funds research and conservation projects that will have a lasting benefit to Colorado birds and the habitats upon which they rely.
CFO makes grants to qualifying individuals or organizations to fund programs and projects that will have a lasting benefit to Colorado birds, and the habitats upon which they rely. CFO provides grants for projects requesting $600-$1500. CFO grants can either fund a full project or be applied as matching funds for larger grants benefitting Colorado birds. Recipients are required to provide regular status updates and either publish a short, year-end summary of their funded work in the Colorado Birds journal or present their findings in person at the annual CFO convention.
The top-ranked research proposal every year is awarded the Joe Roller Memorial Grant to support avian research in Colorado and to honor the memory of long-time Colorado birder Joe Roller. The grant was initially funded by donations to Scott Somershoe's 2021 Green Big Year, a green (carbon-free) birding initiative.
Eligibility: CFO grants are open to individuals and organizations that fit the following criteria:
- Conducting avian research in Colorado or species that use habitat in Colorado for either breeding or migrating.
Limitations: CFO grants cannot be applied to the following costs:
- Institutional overhead/indirect costs.
- Researcher salaries (stipends for field assistants are permitted)
- Requests for equipment where use goes beyond the scope of the project (such as cameras, spotting scopes, and office equipment) are usually not permitted and require specific justification.
- If applicants are concerned about any budget items, they should contact CFO for clarification.
Reporting Requirements: Recipients of funding will:
- Publish a short year-end summary of their funded work in Colorado Birds: The Quarterly Journal of the Colorado Field Ornithologists.
- Present their findings at the annual CFO convention within two calendar years of completing the research supported by CFO.
The grant cycle for 2021 has passed. Dates for the 2022 grant cycle will be posted in fall 2021
Deadline: 11:59 PM on December 10th, 2021 - Late applications will not be reviewed.
Submission: Email application form to email@example.com
Notification of funding decision: March 31, 2022