About our Scholarships & Grants
CFO is devoted to the study, conservation and enjoyment of Colorado's birds. Each year CFO funds research and conservation projects that will have a lasting benefit to Colorado birds and the habitats upon which they rely.
CFO makes grants to qualifying individuals or organizations to fund programs and projects that will have a lasting benefit to Colorado birds, and the habitats upon which they rely. CFO provides grants for projects requesting $600-$1500. CFO grants can either fund a full project or be applied as matching funds for larger grants benefitting Colorado birds. Recipients are required to provide regular status updates and either publish a short, year-end summary of their funded work in the Colorado Birds journal or present their findings in person at the annual CFO convention.
The top-ranked research proposal every year is awarded the Joe Roller Memorial Grant to support avian research in Colorado and to honor the memory of long-time Colorado birder Joe Roller. The grant was initially funded by donations to Scott Somershoe's 2021 Green Big Year, a green (carbon-free) birding initiative.
Eligibility: CFO grants are open to individuals and organizations that fit the following criteria:
- Conducting avian research in Colorado or species that use habitat in Colorado for either breeding or migrating.
Limitations: CFO grants cannot be applied to the following costs:
- Institutional overhead/indirect costs.
- Researcher salaries (stipends for field assistants are permitted)
- Requests for equipment where use goes beyond the scope of the project (such as cameras, spotting scopes, and office equipment) are usually not permitted and require specific justification.
- If applicants are concerned about any budget items, they should contact CFO for clarification.
Reporting Requirements: Recipients of funding will:
- Publish a short year-end summary of their funded work in Colorado Birds: The Quarterly Journal of the Colorado Field Ornithologists.
- Present their findings at the annual CFO convention within two calendar years of completing the research supported by CFO.
2023 Grant Applications
Deadline: 11:59 PM on December 9th, 2022 - Late applications will not be reviewed.
Submission: Email application form to email@example.com
Notification of funding decision: March 31, 2023